Our group’s current officers will not be able to continue serving actively as our lives have, as Kelly Beckwith, VP of Education said at the last meeting, blossomed in ways that we didn’t imagine when we took our responsibilities last year. The Talk for Change Toastmasters Club is a community club in which people from the non-profit and social-benefit industry meet regularly and speak about pertinent social issues. Being an officer is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested to learn how to operate a small non-profit organization. The different offices all have different responsibilities:
- President – CEO of the Club – Responsible for coordinating the organization towards goals towards achieving 10 broad goals which affect the operation of the club. This is an excellent position for someone who might want to run their organization one day.
- VP of Education – Maintaining the toastmasters educational program – Responsible for providing and maintaining the positive environment and the programs through which members can learn and grow.
- VP of Public Relations – Promote the club! – In charge of the promotional activities for your club. The manual When You Are the Vice President Public Relations describes these standards more fully and explains how to fulfill them.
- VP of Membership – Building and maintaining club membership – Responsible for building membership and ensuring a strong membership base by satisfying the needs of all members.
- Secretary – Record keeping and correspondence – Responsible for keeping clear and accurate records of club business
- Treasurer – Bookkeeping and financial reporting – Responsible for keeping clear and accurate financial records of club business and for seeing that the club remains financially stable.
- Sergeant at Arms – Keeper of club properties – Responsible for maintaining club properties, arranging the meeting room and welcoming members and guests at each meeting.
The benefit of being an officer translate in your daily life in many ways, especially at work. Being able to help run this club, you’ll find skills and talents you didn’t know you had. In your personal life, you’ll see that you are a little more assertive and communicative. For whatever reason you might chose, the best reason to run for and take a position is to help others become better leaders and public speakers.